Pages

Wednesday 17 July 2013

Opening Post

Let’s get acquainted, shall we? Well my name is Jonah. I am 17 years old, currently attending the De La Salle University in the Philippines studying Computer Science. I’ve always loved playing video games and when I was in the 5th grade, I played one specific video game that really inspired me. Since then I’ve self-studied about how to code and program with Macromedia Flash (Now known as Adobe Flash). When I reached the 6th grade, I’ve managed to create my own video game. Well, sort of.

It was a turn-based RPG, which only had about 3 or 4 battles with some cutscenes in between. When I released it online on a website known as Newgrounds, the reviews weren’t too positive. There were a couple of errors that pop up when certain patterns are followed, certain specific characters were missing so the scenes wouldn’t continue unless you right click and hit “Play”,  and the animation wasn’t too stellar.

But they were all impressed when they found out that I was only about 10-11 at the time, so I got praised for being able to create my own slightly complicated video game at that age. I have since then removed that specific game, but my other works are still up on my page on the Newgrounds site. If you would like to view them, feel free to take a look here (And maybe cringe).

Through watching Ebert and Roeper, The Nostalgia Critic, Todd in the Shadows, and The Angry Video Game Nerd, I eventually got into writing reviews. Be it about video games, movies, anime or TV shows. I found that I also had a passion for talking about these subjects and loved to hear other people’s opinions on them. So I’ve started to write up my own reviews on my Facebook page, but it didn’t feel like a good place to post reviews, so I’ve looked around for possible websites where I could host my blog or something.

I was then introduced to WordPress when I joined the Nyne Volt Games team a couple of years back to review games, but as soon as I had joined I got bombarded with school stuff so I wasn’t able to be as active as I had originally wanted. A couple of years later, I’ve improved on my writing skills and have decided to start up my own blog for reviewing, and chose to start on Blogger.

My blog will most likely be centered around writing reviews for video games and anime. Maybe movies if I find one that really gets the inner critic in me running. I’ll also be accepting requests for reviews occasionally (Or maybe often if I don’t have anything to review). If ever something interesting pops up, I’ll be writing up a post on it as well.

Post frequency would normally depend on when I find something that piques my interest and lights the passion in me. Although since my university runs on the trimestral system, I probably won’t have much free time barring the weekends and/or breaks. So I’ll try to get something up once a week, or if I’m lucky, maybe two or three a week.

With that, let’s get started! Feel free to drop questions and requests in the comments section.

First review: Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 (For the PS3)

No comments:

Post a Comment